1. What do you think it is about food and nature that brings people together?
“ature is food and to provide food is a show of love. We cannot live without either. Sharing food however meagre strengthens community. whether a couple family or tribe. Nature is our default setting.”
2. What do you enjoy the most about cooking over fire?
“Wood smoke is an ingredient while fire is the ‘hearth’ that humankind naturally gravitates towards.”
3. If you had the ability to travel back in time and host a woodland feast who would you host?
“My father, I miss him. Peter Sellars, Nina Simone, Beatrix Potter and might as well get Robin hood to pop in with his merry bunch. They then all be delivered back to their certain times with accompanying doggy bags.”
4. If you had one superpower what would it be?
“To turn into any animal and whenever.”
5. What is your style of cooking and what does this say about your personality?
“International Grandmother. Unsquemish!”
6. Do you believe in aliens and if so are there chefs cooking on other planets?
“That there isn’t life on other planets makes no sense to me. Some cyber squid in silver spandex might well be making toad in the black hole while I write this.”
7. Complete this sentence. I have been spending my lockdown…
“Cooking, eating, exercising, dog walking, reading, and in front of screens.”
8. Complete this sentence. If I wasn’t a chef I would be…
9. What has been the highlight of your career so far and what else do you hope to achieve?
“I don’t think about my life in terms of successes.”
10. What advice do you have for young chefs starting out in this industry?
“Go and ask for a job from a chef you admire. Chances are they’ll say “Yes”.”
11. What would you like to be remembered for?
“That I was kind and good company.”
A moment on the lips or a lifetime on the hips?
“Surely they are one and the same.”